Monday 25 March 2013

Weekend Review

This week a woman at work has been hosting an art exhibition of her work as well as the work of two other in a gallery on campus. The exhibition has been part of Reading Science Week and was an illustration of how art and science have a lot of overlapping themes and as a result can be collaborative disciplines. All of the art was inspired by science, anywhere from neurones to nature. Pieces of art were on sale with funds going towards Brain Tumour Research.


Two examples of the drawings at the exhibition


After clearing up the gallery we headed to the SCR for a few celebratory drinks after which I met my house mates at Q Bar in town to dance the night away.

On Saturday I met up with some of the uni girls for Helena's birthday. After a nightmare of a journey into Paddington, (thanks First Great Western!) we met at a pub in Soho for pre-dinner pints.

Dinner was had at a Japanese restaurant round the corner called Bincho. The food consists of charcoal-grilled skewers of anything and everything: chicken wings, beef ribs, pork belly, sea bass, salmon, tiger prawns, asparagus, mushrooms.  You name it we had it. The beef ribs definitely came out on top in my opinion.We even braved a few of the more unusual fare: quails eggs wrapped in pancetta, Unagi (eel), and chicken gizzard (stomach!), none of which I'd rush back to try again!
All the food was happily washed down with a bottle of prosecco as a birthday treat for Helena.


The Charcoal Grill - apparently both the grill itself and the wood used as
charcoal is flown on from Japan to make our yummy food.
(picture taken from Bincho website)
Grilled Salmon (I think)
(picture taken from Bincho website)
The chefs at work



Group pic!
I appear to have a serious food baby going on here!

This London Eater blog has some amazing pics of the food to make your mouth water!

We then attempted to try out an underground new bar in China Town located behind a secret black door. But as I imagine is often the case with these new hip places the bouncers told us we wouldn't have a chance of getting in so we went off in search of somewhere different. We ended up at a pub playing live music in Covent Garden and sat outside under patio heaters with our beers (well orange juice for me, being a tad delicate from the night before).

Marshy with  her epic beer!


Unfortunately not living in London meant we had to depart pretty early to get the last train back to Reading. But that wasn't the end of my night. I got back home to a group of rather drunk house mates and friends who partied the night away until 6am! I only managed until 2am.


After two late nights I was in bed until lunchtime on Sunday but hauled myself out of bed to go on a run along the Thames. Speaking of which nobody mentioned when I signed up for this half marathon malarkey the problems it'd cause. I spent three days last week hobbling about with a massive blister and as soon as that healed my run yesterday has bruised two of my toenails and they're now clinging on for dear life. I think it'll bye bye bye toenails after my next run!


Yesterday evening, despite all being shattered and in various states of hangover and sleep deprivation, my house mates and I dragged ourselves over to a pub quiz. This used to be a weekly thing to stop us sitting around on Sunday nights mourning the weekend and crying over the impending doom that is Monday morning. But for a variety of reasons we haven't been since before Christmas. We usually do shockingly badly at the quiz but last night we managed a decent 47/80 (it is very rare that we get over 50%). And even better - we won a bottle of wine for our efforts in the opening game of heads or tails so all in all it was quite a successful night!


I am now sat at my desk at work, still shattered, hugging a mug of green tea and dreaming of Easter Weekend. Two 3-day weeks for me!






No comments:

Post a Comment