Tuesday 7 May 2013

Bank Holiday Weekend

I can't remember the last time I had such a great bank holiday weekend. Such good weather and I had plans for every day!

Friday night I went down to Southampton to see Ally. We went round to my friend Saira's house where she served her home-made chicken curry (she did tell me the proper Indian name but I've forgotten now...) We had this with dahl that Ally and his house mate cooked a for the occasion along with rice, naans and cold beers.

On Saturday I did a quick gym session for the first time since Mexico and spent the afternoon browsing the shops in Reading to pick up an outfit for the evening. It was the first time in 8 months of living together that me and all my house mates would be around on a Saturday for a proper night out.





The evening started with authentic tequila slammers straight from Mexico. We headed out to Milk Bar for cocktails and then onto Oakford's for a bit of a dance and a few more drinks. We finished the night in Purple Turtle. I've heard a lot about this bar/club but never been. It's a proper dive but it's open until 4am and is a bit of an institution on the reading nightlife scene. I only managed about half an hour there by which time it was 2am, I was hungry, too drunk and developing blisters. So we grabbed a cab home via our local burger van.


To clear our heads the next day those of us that weren't so hungover that we couldn't move from our beds went on a walk. There's a really nice park on top of a hill behind our flat that only I had been to before. You can see all of Reading from the hill and it was a perfect spot for a late afternoon hangover-clear out.











Monday was the BEST day. We went to Thorpe Park! I've been living in the South for 5 years now and all through Uni we kept saying we were going to go but never did. I'm so glad I can finally say I've been! Although the setting isn't quite as pretty as Alton Towers with all the gardens, there are still some nice lakes and pretty flowers at Thorpe Park.




Token Geographer with the map



The lack of gardens means that the park is much more compact and you can easily walk from one side to the other in 10 mins, none of this cable car business you get at Alton Towers. And the rollercoasters were amazing!

First ride of the day to ease ourselves in...

Nemesis Inferno (Plus a random photo bomber)

At the start of the rapids while we were still dry

The new rollercoaster Swarm is set to look like an apocalypse was happening. Flying through smashed up billboards and past derelict emergency services vans definitely added a different sense of thrill. It was really good. We had the option of going round backwards but chickened out!







Winner of the day was Saw, I based this on the amount I screamed and feared for my life. It has a vertical climb and and the drop goes past 90 degrees (over-vertical??), plus another 3 massive drops on top of that. Terrifying.


Countdown to the start of the Saw rollercoaster

The vertical climb and over-vertical drop on Saw


A close second was the good old fashioned tea-cups. They'll always be great!







By the time we all got home we were cream-crackered. We finished the day with a film and then straight to bed ready for work again :(

Hope you had a good weekend,


Victoria





No comments:

Post a Comment