Wednesday 1 May 2013

Mexico Part 1

When my supervisor suggested we attend a conference renowned as much for its science as its social side I was very tempted. When that conference turned out to be in Cancun I booked my flight.

The flight was loooong and boring. We arrived at 9pm totally exhausted after being awake for 23 hours so went straight to bed. It gets dark pretty early in Mexico as it's closer to the equator so we couldn't really see much when we arrived. But the next morning we woke up to this.


We spent the morning swimming, sunbathing and met my supervisor at his hotel for a lunch of quesadillas and cocktails, the first of many in both cases.

The evening was the first of many social events organised by the conference committee, held poolside at the Fiesta Americana hotel (the posh one where the majority of people at the conference were staying). There was traditional Mayan dancers and musicians, my first taste of the Mexican culture. The hotel also put on an array of different types of food along with a free bar, again the first of many.






The next day was the first day of the conference. I'll avoid the science talk, apart from to say it was all very interesting and useful and has given me a lot of ideas for my research.

PhD/Post-Doc mingle post to follow.... another free bar, another buffet, and a lot of tequila.


Victoria





No comments:

Post a Comment