Friday 3 May 2013

30,000 feet of nothingness and moving toilets

I skipped Day 2 of the 'Blog Every Day in May' official challenge. But I did still blog so I'm going to let myself off the hook.

Today the topic is 'what makes you uncomfortable'. I've chosen a mix of things, the majority of which I think most people will agree with.

Knowing I HAVE to ask/answer a question. 

It's not fear of public speaking. I'll happily give a presentation that I've prepared. It's being put on the spot that makes me uncomfortable. The fear of sitting in lecture theatres as the lecturer scans the audience for his next prey. Similarly knowing you have to ask a question, like at the end of presentations. I can never think of anything to ask despite listening intently the whole way through. It then becomes my problem that they told me everything I wanted to know. Not fair.


'Give an interesting fact about yourself'

I just don't get why it is ever necessary to have to do this when you're in group of new people?! There's so much pressure to think of something interesting. I always draw a blank. And going off some of the other answers I've heard to this question there a lot of people in agreement on this one.


Aeroplanes. 

I'm sure it's not possible but I'm convinced that one day during take off the plane will just stop going forwards and start heading backwards at death-inducing speeds. Any slight bump while we're flying scares me, full on turbulence induces a terror that the plane will suddenly drop to the floor. And once we're at 30,000 feet I will without fail at some point during the flight think about the fact that there is 30,000 feet of nothingness underneath me. I just can't deal with that.


Going to the toilet on transport. 

Trains, aeroplanes, boats (not that I often find myself on a boat). I will literally put it off until the very last minute to try and avoid this at all costs. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to use stationary toilets.


The sound of people eating.

I hate it. It makes me squirm and goes through me so much. It doesn't even have to be something noisy like crisps. In fact that's more bearable to me than the quieter foods which emphasise the noise of the actually eating. The teeth, the chewing, the swallowing. Eugh. I hate it. I have often left a room to get away from the sound of eating.


PDA's.

I'm not talking about a quick peck. I'm talking about couples lying on the sofa together literally entwined. Particularly when you're alone with them. Particularly if you can hear them kissing. (This is very similar to 'the sound of someone eating' situation). Put each other down. Please.



I hope this hasn't just come across as a massive rant! It wasn't supposed to.... But there you have it. A concise list of my biggest pet peeves.

Victoria x



1 comment:

  1. terrified of asking questions that need to be intelligent, relevant... I am so with you on that one!

    ReplyDelete