Friday 24 May 2013

Mexico Part 3.... Speedboats and snorkelling

I realise I got back from Cancun almost a month ago (that's gone scarily quick!) but I still have more to say!

We booked to stay in Cancun for 2 days extra after the conference finished. After another late night we spent the morning relaxing on the beach and then decided we should probably make the most of our time in Mexico and do something. Although it is pretty tough to drag yourself away from this view.



We headed out to the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest reef in the world stretching from Cancun down to Honduras. The trip started with a speed boat journey through a 'jungle'. It's not exactly what I'd describe as a jungle, but it was pretty cool as it grew straight out of the sea and we got to drive our own speed boat!


Our speed boats all ready to go

Driving through a lagoon in the jungle





Heading out into the open sea to get to the reef
Looking like a proper pale tourist!

I wish I could have taken some pictures of the reef and the fish we saw. It was unreal. So many colours, shapes, patterns and sizes. No Nemo or Dory though! To encourage the fish out the snorkelling guide threw fish food around us which attracted one of the biggest fish I've ever seen.

Henry, one of my colleagues, had never snorkelled before. I kind of assumed that everyone knows how to snorkle, but it turns out they don't. He struggled so much that I think he only put his head under the water once, and declared he was 'fighting for his life'. That was as much of a highlight as the fish themselves!


That evening we went out for dinner at the craziest restaurant ever. The staff put on a weird cops and robbers hunt around the tables as we arrived, I got pulled up twice to dance, and the evening finished with us competing for a shot of tequila by withstanding electric shocks! I ducked out very quickly!







When I finally get round to it I will also do a post about the trip we took to the Mayan pyramids Chichen Itza  (one of the seven wonders of the world!). Stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment